Tuesday 12 July 2011

Duxford Flying Legends Airshow Crash

On Saturday I went to the Duxford Flying Legends Airshow and saw many Warbirds, including P-51's put on a magnificent display. On Sunday two of these amazing aircraft collided during the display resulting on one crashing and leaving the other badly damaged. The pilot of the crashed plane was able to eject and parachuted safety to the ground while the second pilot was able to bring his wounded warbird down in an emergency landing. Several dramatic videos of the collision have been released on YouTube and other media, including this by MrJonlar.



There was also another, thankfully minor crash on the same day. The replica Fokker DR I triplane tipped up on landing. This video was posted by MastersonIrishdance.



Looks like I missed an eventful day by going Saturday instead of Sunday!

I'm working my way through all the photo's I shot (some 700+ !) and hope to have them available to view by Friday if not sooner. I'm still identifying and labeling all the planes in my shots and haven't even started picking out the best pictures to keep. Its a mammoth job but I'm pleased with the pictures I got and the show was definitely worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the crashes as long as everybody was OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad all were ok, eventually.
    As a side note, so much for the ground emergency response :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sorry about the crashes..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vultures Wargaming Blog has just posted a link to some dramatic pictures (and more video) of the collision on the MailOnline website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting clips, at least nobody was hurt, shame about the classic planes getting a little smashed though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply as soon as I can, so why not pop back later and continue the conversation. In the meantime, keep rolling high!