Thursday 5 March 2009

Scale Creep - Follow Up

As predicted my blog essay created some interest and debate. I posted a notice on The Miniatures Page but it seems I woke the 'beast' because within a few hours this forum had spawned two others and started a 'heated' debate on the subject of scale. Here are links to the various threads on TMP:

Thread One - Scale Creep - A Blog Essay

Thread Two - Length or Girth

Thread Three - What is "scale" and whether it is "creeping"


Another TMP Thread on Establishing a common miniatures scale

In addition to these discussions I would point you in the direction of this blog http://thunderboltmountain.com/serendipity/ which has a series of excellent articles on proportion and scale.

As a roleplayer and a painter I'm not actually that bothered about scale [oh the blasphemy!]. I just want my miniatures to look good when painted and I want them to stand out on the games table. Having said that I can totally appreciate why a wargamer or collector would want some consistency in size and proportion.

My motivation for writing my article was to try and sort out my own muddled thinking on the subject. I don't mind necessarily if my 28mm minis are actually 34mm, or anywhere in between, so long as they look good when painted. As a roleplayer I like to use good mini's on the games table but I'm not going to have a heart attack if there is 6mm difference between the Fighter and the Cleric.

However I am interested in finding if there is any industry standard and so far I can't see one. And maybe that's the biggest downfall of referring to 28mm as a scale. Its not exact enough to maintain scale discipline within manufacturers. Having said that if you were to ask most gamers if 28mm (or 15mm etc) is a 'scale' I suspect most would say "of course it is". So maybe the real problem isn't scale creep but more the void between the technical definition and the common vernacular for scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I always try to reply as soon as I can, so why not pop back later and continue the conversation. In the meantime, keep rolling high!